Sunday, July 7, 2013

Low-Carb Recipies - Shrimp Scampi

Kim's Shrimp Scampi - 9 carbs including the pasta


I've been on and off the low-carb roller coaster for years. One thing I know, I feel better when I'm not eating sugar - but it just tastes so darn good! So now I'm going back and using a blog to - hopefully - keep me on track. If you do see me eat something with sugar, please don't judge (it just may be a scheduled "cheat day") - HA!

I was going to try to incorporate Paleo into my low-carb lifestyle (LIFESTYLE - because it should be a lifestyle, not just a fad), but I see the conflict with dairy - I can live without white stuff, but not without cheese! And cheese is relatively low carb!

The Paleo Diet is based upon eating wholesome, contemporary foods from the food groups our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on during the Paleolithic era, the time period from about 2.6 million years ago to the beginning of the agricultural revolution, about 10,000 years ago. These foods include fresh meats (preferably grass-produced or free-ranging beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and game meat, if you can get it), fish, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthful oils (olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia, walnut and flaxseed). Dairy products, cereal grains, legumes, refined sugars and processed foods were not part of our ancestral menu. - from Loren Cordain, Ph.D., the world's leading expert on Paleolithic diets and founder of the Paleo movement.

There are 2 products that I can speak highly of, and that I use quite regularly - Mission Carb Balance flour tortillas (6 carbs) and Dreamfields pasta (5 carbs) - click on the Dreamfields link and get a coupon for $1 off. Both of these are available at Walmart. I will use these quite frequently in my recipes.
Here's the first recipe I'm sharing, because I make it all of the time. Takes about 20 minutes to make, so it's my go-to meal. This recipe is for 1 person, so just increase as needed. Since the pasta becomes carb-impacting when it is reheated, I only make enough for one meal.

Kim's Shrimp Scampi

8 oz of uncooked cleaned and deveined shrimp -1 carb
1 T butter + 1 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic
2 T fresh lemon juice (about ½ of a lemon) - 2 carbs
2 tsp lemon zest
½ cup of any of the following - white wine or chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 serving of Dreamfields pasta (I use angel hair) - 5 carbs
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese - 1 carb
Fresh or dried parsley
Fresh ground pepper

Put the water for the pasta on to boil. While waiting for the water, heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and 1 T butter until butter is melted and sizzling. Add shrimp and cook on each side until pink - this takes just a minute, so don't walk away. When the shrimp is done, remove only the shrimp to the bowl you will be using to eat - why dirty another bowl?

Now add the garlic to the oil/butter in the skillet and cook for just a minute. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and wine/stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes allowing it to reduce.


*Hopefully, your water is boiling by now and the pasta is in the water. I use angel hair because it only takes 5 minutes or less to cook and I like the small pasta.

As soon as the sauce has reduced, add the other tablespoon of butter and once it is melted add the shrimp back into the skillet. Do not overcook the shrimp. If the pasta is not done, take the sauce off of the heat and wait till the pasta is ready before adding skillet back on the heat and adding the shrimp.

Drain the pasta and add it to the shrimp, tossing to coat evenly with the sauce. Serve in the bowl and season with the Parmesan, parsley and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment